Friday, August 24, 2012

I have jobs!

Due to an uneventful few weeks and ~3 weeks of visitors, our blog has been left high and dry! It's time for an update on my job situation.

Job #1: Substitute Teacher for Natomas School District
After receiving my California substitute teacher credential in June, I applied for a substitute position at a school district nearby. I'm not sure how this works but you just kinda submit all the paperwork and they hire you. I feel like their policy is if you're willing to jump through our hoops to get hired, we'll hire you. Okay, so I am a substitute teacher now. Yay! I received my first call for a job while my cousin Andrea was here so I wasn't able to accept but at least I know I'm in their system. I suspect it will take a while to get my name out there and get more job calls.

Job #2: Field Assistant for Great American Opportunities (fancy title)
Remember when you were doing fundraisers in junior high and elementary for magazines or cookie dough? Well my friend Michael (married to my best CA buddy, Allyson) is the guy who runs the fundraisers for schools. Remember the big assemblies with money wheels and money machines? Yep, that's him. Well he needed part time employees to be present on days when the students come turn in their orders and receive their prizes. That's me! Today was my first day and it was right up my alley. Fast-paced, quick thinking and requires great organization skills. PLUS I forgot how much I love teenagers. They're goofy but so much fun!

Potential Job #3: Sexual Health Educator for Alternatives Pregnancy
Remember how I'm a volunteer counselor at a pregnancy center? Well schools will ask them to come and give seminars to their students about sex education and since we do it for free, we have more demand than Alternatives can meet. After a nonchalant talk with the director of Alternatives about this, I told her I would love to help out whenever they go. She got all excited about my offer plus the fact that I am a high school Biology teacher and threw out the possibility of hiring me part time to go do these seminars. Awesome! That was a few weeks ago so I need to talk to her again, but if it worked out, that would be so great!

Funny how I haven't had any job possibilities in the first 6 months of living in California then in about 3 weeks, I had 3 opportunities. Ah, I definitely feel like it's an answer to prayer. I've had a few low, low days about being alone for so much of my day. But yay for a busier schedule now!

No comments:

Post a Comment