Saturday, December 15, 2012

All Aboard!!

The Polar Express!

Remember learning about the Gold Rush to California back in the 1800s? Remember learning about the railroads being built to bring everyone out here? Well Sacramento does at the California Railroad Museum in Old Sacramento. It's a legit museum with lots and lots of old trains, some that you can even walk through!

During Christmastime the museum turns one of their one hour train rides into The Polar Express! You can get on a real train and take a ride to the North Pole to see Santa preparing for Christmas! When I heard about this back in September, I knew it was something that Mitchell and I had to do. I was a little concerned that it was a kid thing but I figured we might as well go. Why not? Well poor Mitchell got heckled majorly by his co-workers for being drug to such an event. Whatever. We are up for some fun and adventure!

Our train ride was schedule for December 9th at 8:00pm. We arrived early and spent some time walking around Old Sacramento, checking out the massive Christmas tree and doing some Christmas shopping in G. Willikers Toy Store.


Pretend like the nice man who offered to take our picture actually got all of the "Express" in the picture!

At 7:30, we went back to the train station and waited in line for our ride on The Polar Express!

Pretend like the nice lady who took our picture had a steadier hand ;)
About to board!
On board!
Mitchell waving good bye to Sacramento!
This picture cracks me up because it looks like we're about to be t-boned by a car but someone outside the train took a picture with a flash at the exact moment I took the picture inside the train!

Here comes the hot cocoa and cookies!
Tap dancing cafe servers!

Time to read The Polar Express!
Almost there!
Santa's Workshop at the North Pole!
SANTA!!!!!! I know him!!!
Guess who came on the train to deliver the silver sleigh bells!?
I got my picture with Santa and I whispered in his ear what I wanted for Christmas! :)
All in all it was a fun experience, albeit definitely for kids. We had a great time but probably won't do it again without kids ages 3-10. I love that our city has this event though because I feel like it's truly unique to Sacramento. Yay for exploring this city and doing all that we can while we're here!

No comments:

Post a Comment