Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Breaking the News

We found out we were pregnant about a week before we went home for Christmas. I wish I had a really cute story for how I told Mitchell but I don't. I had taken the test about 30 minutes before he got home from work just in case it was negative, I didn't want him to get all hyped up. When he got home we FaceTimed with his parents because it was his dad's birthday. Once we hung up, I said, "sooo I have something to show you" and pulled out my phone with a picture of the positive test. We just kinda looked at each other and laughed. I mean, what do you say? It's finally real. The real deal. :)


We decided we would tell our families while we were home, even though it was early, so that we could tell them in person. I had an idea (not Pinterest inspired) to buy newborn onesies and paint "Baby Martin August 2013" on it, wrap it as a gift and let them open in on Christmas morning. Mitchell wanted to tell his family by buying a Baby frame and inserting a sign for the picture that said, "Insert first photo with Grandma here" and wrap it as a Christmas gift for his mother to open. Alright, we're set.

I went home two days before Mitchell and the first night at home my mom offered me a glass of wine, which I refused nonchalantly, claiming I was dehydrated from flying. She immediately asked if I was pregnant. Cue the lie, "No, I'm not pregnant!". Oops! So I knew there was no way I was going to be able to play it off until Christmas morning. The night that Mitchell flew into Houston I gave my dad an early Christmas gift at the dinner table. He opened it and stared blank faced at the onesie while it sunk in, haha. And then there was much cheering, laughing and hugging. The news slowly spread through the family as my immediate family is huge and not everyone could be there that night.

Excited grandparents to be! Has it sunk in yet?
Auntie Liddy - she was the first to find out
We drove into Longview, where Mitchell's parents live on Christmas Eve. On Christmas morning we all gathered 'round the tree to open gifts. I pretended to be taking pics of everyone opening gifts so that I could get some candid shots of Betsy opening her frame. Classic! There was cheering, laughing and hugging then as well.

Are you serious? face
Yay! A baby!
Katy and Greg realizing what we're telling them!
Greg got to open a onesie too
Excited grandparents-to-be
Telling everyone else was a slow process. Most people didn't know until we went to the doctor for the first time at 8 weeks and got to see our little teddy graham/gummy bear and hear that all looked well. Mitchell was really good at calling people but since I was in the throes of nausea by then, most people got emails or texts. (embarrassed face)

Once the second trimester began, I was finally feeling better and was ready to go FBO (Facebook official).

I can't adequately express how much everyone's excitement and encouragement means to us. It makes it more real and it calms those little fears that creep up. When people who have kids are really excited for you, it reassures that having kids is a good thing. Thank you everyone for your love and support! It means the world.

1 comment:

  1. SOOOOOO excited for you Martins!!!!! Y'all are going to be AMAZING parents :)

    ReplyDelete