Tuesday, March 27, 2012

The Scooter Experience

You may recall that we came out to California with only our Honda CR-V and a little Rocketa scooter. We sold Mitchell's Tundra because we really didn't think we would need out here. Mitchell has been taking the scooter to work every day and it has worked fabulously. I, however, have been avoiding it. Nay, ignoring it. Let me tell you why...

When Mitchell proudly came home back in October of last year with this scooter, we took it out for a spin. You should know I am extremely against motorcycles and those feelings were confirmed with my first scooter ride. You just feel so exposed. Right as I was getting comfortable with it, we ended our ride back at our apartment. As I was getting off, swinging my leg over the back, my jeans caught on the back rest and starting pulling the scooter over. I tried hopping to get my leg untangled but it was too late. The scooter fell over on me and I hurt the palm of my hand bracing my fall. Ever since then, I have not been too fond of the scooter.

Last night, Mitchell had to get to BSF (bible study) early to volunteer with the kids. Normally, he drops me off at my BSF and then goes late to his. Well, last night that wasn't possible so I had to find another way to get there. I finally faced the scooter. Mitchell re-taught me how to start it (the trickiest part) and I practiced driving it around the block. I don't know what I had been scared of! It was totally easy to drive! I was actually excited to go on my first adventure with it.

Mitchell left for BSF and I killed time for about 30 minutes. When it was time to go, I bundled up, packed up my purse, put on the helmet and went to go start the scooter. I gave it some gas and pressed the starter. It roared to life and lurched forward so I let the gas go completely. It died. I tried starting it again and nothing. Not even the sound of the starter. Shoot, I texted Mitchell to let him know I broke it.

I went inside, sat down to pout and it dawned on me... I wasn't holding the brake when I tried to start it! That is a requirement to get the starter going. So I bundled back up, packed my purse, put on the helmet and went out there and tried to start it again. After about 5 tries, I killed the battery. There wasn't enough juice to start it and after trying several times I had zapped whatever juice was left. Shoot, I texted Mitchell to let him know the scooter was not broken, just dead.

I went inside, pouted a little more and asked God why he didn't want me to go to bible study. Then, I figured if I charged it during the first hour of bible study, I may be able to make it to the second hour. I googled how to hook up the trickle charger because I had never done it before and I didn't want to shock myself. I hooked it up and killed time for another 30 minutes.

After 30 minutes on the charger, I bundled up again, packed my purse and helmet and went to go start it again. It worked! Yay! I scooted away to bible study. I texted Mitchell to let him know that I got it to work. I made it there and back safe and sound. I was so proud of myself! I beat Mitchell home, pulled the scooter on the porch and went inside.

It seems like a happy ending until I tell you that last night, after Mitchell got home, he pulled the scooter in the garage behind the car and put it on the charger. This morning, when I went to leave, I did not know the scooter was behind the car and I definitely backed into it and knocked it over. :( Luckily, neither scooter nor car were damaged but I definitely felt accident prone and drove very, very carefully.

The End!

No comments:

Post a Comment