Wednesday, April 4, 2012

The Revenge of the Scooter

Please refer to my earlier post about the Scooter Experience. Things were looking up for me and the scooter but after yesterday, we are done.

Yesterday, I needed to make a run to the DMV to finish up registering our CR-V in California now that we own the car (yay!). We have not yet begun to register the scooter (shh!) but first will need to pass the driving test to get motorcycle licenses. There is a course at the DMV that you have to successfully drive to obtain your license. Since I need practice, I decided to drive the scooter to the DMV. The night before Mitchell forgot to put the scooter on the charger so it was dead in the morning. My appointment wasn't until the afternoon so Mitchell said if I put it on the charger now, then it would be charged by the time I needed to go. It was. I started it on the first try and was on my way.
The course at the DMV. You must keep your front tire in between these two lines the entire way. It's about a foot wide.

I had a great trip to the DMV and parked the scooter next to the bike rack in front of the DMV. I was in and out really quickly and was ready to head home. I got set up on the scooter and went to start it and the battery made the sound it makes when it's dead. Great. I tried it a few times with no luck. I cranked on the gas and tried the starter and the scooter roared to life and lurched forward. Before I could react, the scooter was out of my control and fell to the ground. Well now I am in front of the DMV with a dead scooter on the ground and no idea what to do. So I wheeled it around back so I could work with it while no one was staring at me. There was nothing I could do. The battery was dead.

My first thought was to call Mitchell but then I realized, what can he do? He's at work with no vehicle because he walked that day. Even if he borrowed someone's car to get to me, what could he do? Only way to move the scooter is a truck or trailer which we do not have access to out here. So my decision: push the scooter home. I am a little over 2 miles away.

An hour later, I made it home. The whole time I was thinking how I was going to tell Mitchell that the scooter and I are officially done. It's safer for me if I don't mess with it. It's better for the scooter if I stay away from it (I have now knocked it over twice, once with the car, second trying to start it). Sadly, the scooter and I just did not work out. Mitchell and the scooter work together greatly and I am glad for that. Here's Mitchell's reaction when I told him:

No comments:

Post a Comment