Thursday, June 7, 2012

Beautiful Wedding Vows

At the wedding last weekend, the bride and groom had prepared some of the most beautiful wedding vows I've ever heard. They also had the great idea of putting the vows into the program so we could follow along with what they were saying. They are so beautiful and God-centered I had to share...

Groom's Vows
I vow to honor you as my bride
And co-heir to the gracious gift of life. (1 Peter 3:7)
I vow to submit myself entirely to you,
Even as unto the Lord, (Ephesians 5:21-22)
With purity and reverence of heart; (1 Peter 3:2)
Casting aside fears (John 6:20)
I vow to pursue the work of Christ, (Ephesians 2:10)
I will hold you forever before the Lord, (1 Thessalonians 5:23)
Sanctifying you in the washing of the Word (Ephesians 5:26)
Protecting you, and delighting in your beauty, (Proverbs 5:15-19)
As the provider and head of our marriage, (1 Timothy 5:8, Eph 5:23)
I vow to love you and lay my life down for you. (Eph 5:25)

Bride's Vows
I vow to submit myself entirely to you,
Even as unto the Lord, (Eph 5:21-22)
I vow to respect and honor you
As the head of our marriage. (Eph 5:23 & 33)
With purity and reverence of heart; (1 Peter 3:2)
Casting aside fears, (John 6:20)
I vow to pursue the work of Christ, (Eph 2:10)
Trusting in the Lord,
To develop within me the unfading beauty
Of a gentle and quiet Spirit. (1 Peter 3:4)
I will not let corrupt talk come out of my mouth,
But only what is good for building up,
That it may give grace to you. (Eph 4:29)
Strength and dignity will be my clothing,
And I will bring good to you all the days of my life. (Proverbs 31)

"Do not urge me to leave you or to turn back from you.
Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay.
Your people will be my people and your God my God.
Where you die I will die, and there I will be buried.
May the LORD deal with me, be it ever so severely,
If anything but death separates you and me."
Ruth 1:16-17

They each said their part first and then the verses from Ruth. I LOVE the verses from Ruth as a promise to your spouse on your wedding day. What a commitment, yet a perfect description of what God expects of us to commit to each other when we marry. I don't know what it looks like to be married 5 years, 10 years, 25 years or 50 years but I pray, pray, pray that I take my commitment to Mitchell as seriously then as I do now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment