Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Second Week in Houston

This week, Mitchell joined me in Houston! Although we started the week in different places...

Mitchell flew into Hobby airport, was picked up by his buddies and driven down to Galveston Island for a weekend with the guys. It was one of Mitchell's best friends, Michael's, bachelor party! The eight of them rented a beach house on Jamaica Beach and spent the entire weekend down there. They had a blast but all Mitchell wanted when he got back was eat a salad because apparently all they ate was meat. One of their goals was to incorporate bacon into every meal!

Funny story of the weekend was when they got to the house they realized they had three XBoxes but only two TVs. Hmm, solution? Go by another TV! But instead of buying a regularly sized TV from Walmart, they decided to go all out and by a 70" TV with full intentions of returning it at the end of the weekend. Risky move, luckily for the groom-to-be it all worked out. Imagine having that conversation on the honeymoon! The TV was so big that it didn't fit in the car with all guys in seats so Mitchell had to lay down in the back and have the TV lay over him on the way home. Ridiculous!

While Mitchell was down at the beach, Billy, Liddy and I made a trip to College Station to order Billy's Aggie ring. Whoop!

When we got back to Houston we met up with Ricky, Kenzie and Ashlyn at one of our favorite restaurants and had a great time laughing and talking.

Sunday afternoon, my old roommates and our sisters went to Galveston for the day. It was sooo much fun, despite the ridiculous traffic we sat in getting on and off the island. Apparently everyone else had the idea of going to the beach that day too!


On Memorial Day, my parents graciously hosted dinner at their house with our family so that we could see everyone while we were home.

Tuesday, Mitchell and I drove up to Longview to visit his parents. We had a great dinner with them and spent some time discussing and planning their trip out to Sacramento in a few weeks! :D

Wednesday, we drove over to the Dallas/Fort Worth area and visited two of Mitchell's best guy friends and their family, my cousin Andrea and our good friends, Ryan and Amanda Richardson. The Richardsons kindly let us spend the night at their beautiful, brand new house in Burleson. It was a crazy busy day but we loved every second visiting our good friends!


Thursday, we drove back to Houston and that evening went to dinner at mine and Mitchell's favorite Tex Mex restaurant. It was five minutes from our apartment that we lived in right after we got married. We went once a week on Thursday nights for majority of the fall of 2011!

Friday marked the start of Michael and Laura's wedding weekend! Mitchell's old roommate, Aaron came and picked us up from my parent's house and whisked us off to Austin. The now Andersons chose to get married at the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center (or if Lady Bird was saying it in her Southern accent, the wildflow-ah cent-ah). It was a beautiful venue. Perfect for an outdoor Texas wedding! The rehearsal and rehearsal dinner went smoothly. The wedding day was mostly pretty chill until about 3pm when things got crazy busy until the newlyweds left for their honeymoon at 11:30pm that night. Mitchell, as the best man, probably sat down for a total of 5 minutes the entire evening. The wedding was absolutely beautiful, visually and as result of the love between Michael and Laura.


Sunday morning, Mitchell's good college buddy came and picked us up and took us to Kerbey Lane for their amazing queso and kindly took us to the airport for our flights back home! Back to California!

The sweet revelation when I got home: As much as I loved being in Texas and spending all that time with my family (they are so loving and amazing) and friends, I realized that my real home is wherever Mitchell and I have built our home together. My home with him is where I can truly relax. Where I can be most excited. Most myself. Most comfortable. What a blessing that shift is.

2 comments:

  1. Um, you forgot our awesome coffee date! ;) It was so fun to see you and I totally agree - home is all about where your heart is, and I'm glad you feel that with Mitchell!! Hope you're having fun back at home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Arlene! I was so bummed I forgot to take a picture with you! I was trying to be good at taking a picture of everything I did so I could post it on here. Our coffee date was awesome!

    ReplyDelete